The Data Entry page provides a data entry form for recording and sharing the results of testing a target application.
The Data Entry page is a single-page application (SPA), a web page that responds to input by the user. The page provides controls for recording test results after importing assess.ged into a target application.
Results are saved locally. You may save multiple test results for one or more target applications, and you can have multiple assessments in progress at the same time. When you are ready to share the results, you copy text to the clipboard and then send that text to me.
- After importing assess.ged (download - view) into a target application, go to the Data Entry page.
- Enter the name and version of the target application in the textboxes in the Target Application section.
The name should be the official name of the product or service as used by the publisher of the product.
The version should be the official version number of the target application as shown in the "About" window or page for the product or service. For online services which often do not display a version number, use the date you performed the test in "yyyy-mm-nn" format.
- Click the New Test button.
Several new sections will be added to the page.
The Test Areas section provides links to the sections for each test area.
Each test area section includes a pull-down menu for each test in that area.
- Scroll down to the first test area and the first test in that area.
- Choose a value from the status pull-down menu for the test. The values are:
- Pending – This status indicates the test has not been evaluated or the result has not been entered yet.
- Supported – This status indicates the target application supports the GEDCOM records used in the test, i.e., the test passed.
- Supported (w/comment) – This status indicates the target application supports the GEDCOM records used in the test, i.e., the test passed.
This status allows you to enter a comment. The comment should describe something unique or special about how the target application handles the GEDCOM records used in the test, such as where the data is visible if that is not obvious.
- Partially Supported – This status indicates the target application partially supports the GEDCOM records used in the test.
This status allows you to enter a comment. The comment should describe what part(s) of the test succeeded and what part(s) did not.
- Rejected (non-standard) – This status indicates the target application rejected or ignored a non-standard GEDCOM record or value used in the test.
This status allows you to enter a comment. The comment should describe special circumstances or conditions, if any.
- Imported Incorrectly – This status indicates the target application imported the data incorrectly.
This status allows you to enter a comment. The comment should describe why the results were incorrect.
- Rejected – This status indicates the target application rejected the GEDCOM records used in the test.
This status allows you to enter a comment. The comment should include the reason provided by the target application, if any, why the GEDCOM record(s) were rejected.
Most target applications write a log file when importing a GEDCOM file and if GEDCOM records are rejected, the log will include a reason. If the target application does not include a rejection message in its log file, or if it has no log file, you should choose the Ignored status instead.
- Ignored – This status indicates the target application did not load the GEDCOM records used in the test and did not indicate why.
This status allows you to enter a comment. The comment should describe how you determined that the GEDCOM records were not loaded.
When choosing a status, focus on the item being tested, not the other records required to construct the test. For example, if the Secondary Name with Type test adds a secondary name, but fails to assign the type, that is "Imported Incorrectly", not "Partially Supported". The More than One Name test indicates whether multiple names are supported or not, and the Secondary Name with Type test is designed to assess whether the target application accepts custom name types. If the name type assignment does not work, then the target application does not implement that part of the GEDCOM 5.5.1 specification properly. The name is not lost, but it is not assigned the proper type, so the proper status is "Imported Incorrectly".
- Enter a comment for the test if the Status you chose enables the comment textbox. Follow the guidelines for the comment described above for each status.
- Choose a status and enter a comment, if necessary, for all the tests.
Entering a complete set of results will take time because there are many tests. Save your work periodically using the Save Results button. There is a Save Results button at the end of each test area section.
You may complete the data entry process in several data entry sessions by saving results and loading them later.
When you want to pause data entry and resume later, use the Save Results button before leaving the page. The results are saved in local storage provided by your browser.
There are multiple Save Results buttons. They all do the same thing.
If you have saved one or more test results using the Save Results button, a pull-down menu will appear at the top of the Target Applications section. The menu will include an entry for each saved result. Choosing an entry from the pull-down menu will load the data entry form with the results you saved previously.
Saving Results with a New Name
To save the current results under a new name, change the target application name or version and click the Save Results button.
To change the name of results you saved earlier, use the pull-down menu at the top of the Target Applications section to load the prior results. Change the target application name or version and click the Save Results button. If you do not want to keep the prior results (perhaps because the name is not what you prefer), delete the prior result by choosing it from the pull-down menu and clicking the Delete Saved Result button.
The Data Entry page will remind you to save your work when you attempt to close your browser or tab, or navigate to a different page. If you have not saved your work, choose the Cancel button, save the results, then leave the page.
To share your results with other users, use the Copy Results to Clipboard button. That will place JSON-formatted text on the clipboard which you can paste into a text file. Send the text file to me as an attachment to an email message and I will integrate the results into the GEDCOM Assessments help pages.
You may import results sent to you by another user. Paste the JSON-formatted text into the textbox on the Importing Results page and click the Import Results button. The results will be saved to your local storage and may be loaded into the Data Entry page via the pull-down menu at the top.
If you have saved one or more test results using the Save Results button, a pull-down menu will appear at the top of the Target Applications section. You may use that pull-down menu to load previously-saved results. After loading a saved result, you may delete the saved result from the browser's local storage by clicking the Delete Saved Result button.
Do not delete any saved result unless you are certain you do not need it. There is no way to recover deleted results.
This page last changed on 27 Dec 2019.